Hy-Vee's Best Beef Cooking Contest
July 14, 2021 | Promotions
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. CONTEST ELIGIBILITY: The Hy-Vee Best Beef Cooking Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to legal residents of Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, and Wisconsin. Entrants must be at least eighteen (18) years old (or the age of majority in their state of legal residence, whichever is older) at the time of entry. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. Participation constitutes an entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. Winning a Prize is contingent upon the entrant fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. In the event of a conflict between the entry instructions on any entry form and these Official Rules, these Official Rules shall control.
2. SPONSOR: Hy-Vee, Inc., 5820 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines, Iowa 50266-8223.
3. CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest begins on July 14, 2021 and ends on August 16, 2021 (the “Contest Period”). The Contest Period consists of two (3) periods; a Regional Recipe Entry Submission Period, a Regional “Cookoff” Event Entry Period in Des Moines, and a State Fair Entry Period in Des Moines; see Section 4 for details.
4. TO ENTER: To enter the Contest, an entrant must create an original recipe that meets the following additional criteria: (a) includes Hy-Vee beef (Hy-Vee Choice Reserve and/or Prime Reserve); (b) contains ingredients that are all available for sale at Hy-Vee; and (c) can be prepared and cooked in 60 minutes or less (a qualifying “Recipe”). Potential entrants must submit the Recipe to Hy-Vee no earlier than July 14, 2021 at 12:01AM and no later than 11:59PM on July 31, 2021 (“Regional Recipe Entry Submission Period”). Recipes must be submitted via the following site: hyv.ee/bestbeef during the Regional Recipe Entry Submission Period, along with the entrant’s name, residing city/state, email address and Recipe details including a photo.
All Recipes must be submitted during the Regional Recipe Entry Submission Period to be considered a valid entry. All entries become the sole and exclusive property of the Sponsor and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor.
Submitting a Recipe constitutes each entrant’s consent to give Sponsor a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such Recipe in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, in perpetuity, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, for any purpose whatsoever, including for promotional or marketing purposes.
Other than a prize set forth herein, prize winners will have no right to any compensation whatsoever for the use of the suggested Recipe or for any sales generated by the Recipe. By submitting a Recipe for consideration in this Contest, each entrant acknowledges and agrees that all intellectual property rights in the suggested name shall be the property of Hy-Vee, free and clear of all encumbrances and liens of any kind. To the extent that title to intellectual property may not, by operation of law, vest in Hy-Vee, each entrant hereby agrees to assign and, upon their creation, hereby assigns to Hy-Vee, without restriction, the ownership of all intellectual property rights including but not limited to trademark interest in the Recipe.
By submitting a Recipe and entering the Contest, all entrants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of Sponsor’s judge(s), which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest. There is a limit of one (1) entry per entrant.
REGIONAL RECIPE ENTRY SUBMISSION - SELECTION OF WINNERS AND PRIZES: All qualifying Recipes will be separated into five (5) groups based on the Hy-Vee Food Store market associated with the entrant’s place of residence, which will be either (i) Council Bluffs, (ii) Sioux City, (iii) Des Moines, (iv) Cedar Rapids, or (v) the Quad Cities (each, a “Market”). Two entrants per Market (“Recipe Prize Winners”) with Recipes that best meet the contest criteria set forth below (“Regional Recipe Submission Contest Criteria”), as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, for the Regional Recipe Entry Submission Period will win a chance to have their Recipe prepared by a Hy-Vee beef expert as part of the Market’s Regional Cookoff Event Contest.
Recipe Submission Contest Criteria
- Creativity, Uniqueness and Originality of Recipe – 50%
- Ease of Cooking/Execution – 50%
A Hy-Vee chef will prepare each Recipe Prize Winner’s Recipe, for entry into the Regional Cookoff Event, which is scheduled to be held during the week of August 9, 2021 (the “Regional Cookoff Event Entry Period”).
REGIONAL “COOKOFF” EVENT ENTRY SUBMISSION - SELECTION OF WINNERS AND PRIZES: During the Regional “Cookoff” Event Entry Period, a Hy-Vee beef expert designated by the Market’s participating Hy-Vee Food Store will evaluate all of the Market’s Recipe Prize Winners’ Recipes and test cook as needed. One Recipe Prize Winner from each Market (“Regional Cookoff Event Winner”) that best meets the contest criteria set forth below (“Regional Cookoff Event Contest Criteria”), as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion, for the Regional Cookoff Event Contest will win an opportunity to accompany the Hy-Vee beef expert when competing in the Best Beef Cooking Competition at the Iowa State Fair.
Regional Cookoff Event Contest Criteria
- Creativity, Uniqueness and Originality of Recipe – 40%
- Ease of Cooking/Execution – 10%
- Taste and Quality – 40%
- Appearance – 10%
Each Regional Cookoff Event Winner will win a custom Iowa State Fair travel, which includes a two-night hotel stay at Hotel Renovo (Clive, IA), two Iowa State Fair admission tickets, and one $250 VISA gift card – (approximate retail value is $900.00). The Regional Cookoff Event Winner will be notified immediately following the Cookoff Event Contest. All federal, state, and local tax liabilities are the sole responsibility of the Cookoff Event Winner. The Cookoff Event Winner will be required to complete and return a second Affidavit of Eligibility and Publicity/Liability release form. The Cookoff Event Winner may be required to complete and return an IRS W-9 form (i.e., Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) within five (5) days of issuance. Prizes are non-transferable and no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor’s sole discretion.
STATE FAIR ENTRY SUBMISSION - SELECTION OF WINNER AND PRIZES: During the State Fair Entry Period, each of the five (5) Regional Cookoff Event Winners will compete alongside their Hy-Vee beef expert in the Best Beef Cooking Competition Finals. Each Regional Cookoff Event Winner and their Hy-Vee beef expert will prepare their Recipe at the Best Beef Cooking Competition Finals, which will take place between 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. on August 16, 2021 at the Ron Pearson Center in West Des Moines, Iowa. The Regional Cookoff Event Winner that best meets the contest criteria set forth below (“Best Beef Cooking Contest Criteria”) as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion, for the Best Beef Cooking Competition Finals will be deemed the winner.
Best Beef Cooking Competition Contest Criteria
- Creativity, Uniqueness and Originality of Recipe – 40%
- Ease of Cooking/Execution – 10%
- Taste and Quality – 40%
- Appearance – 10%
An awards presentation will take place between 4:45 p.m. and 6:15 p.m. on the Bill Riley Stage at The Iowa State Fair. The first place winner of the Best Beef Cooking Competition Finals will win one (1) years’ worth of free groceries from Hy-Vee to be awarded as fifty-two (52) $100 Hy-Vee gift cards (approximate retail value of $5,200) and the possibility that Hy-Vee will utilize the Recipe in promotional manner in select Iowa Hy-Vee Food Store locations for a limited time. Details to be mutually agreed upon by Sponsor and Winner. The following prizes will be awarded to the second through fifth place winners:
- 2nd Place: $1,000 VISA gift card (approximate retail value is $1,000)
- 3rd Place: $500 VISA gift card (approximate retail value is $500)
- 4th Place: $250 VISA gift card (approximate retail value is $250)
- 5th Place: $100 VISA gift card (approximate retail value is $100)
5. RELEASE / INDEMNIFICATION: By participating in the Contest, each entrant agrees to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor and Facebook and each of their affiliates, subsidiaries, parent corporations, and their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claims made by entrant, a prize winner, or any other third parties related in any way to the operation of the Contest, as well as any other claims, damages or liability due to any injuries, damages or losses (whether alleged, threatened, or actual) to any person (including death) or property of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Contest-related activity or participation in the Contest.
6. PUBLICITY: Except where prohibited, participation in the Contest constitutes the consent of each entrant and Prize Winner to Sponsor’s and its agents’ use of entrant’s and Prize Winner’s name, age, photograph, video, voice, likeness and/or image, and hometown address for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration.
7. GENERAL CONDITIONS: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures, human error or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the Entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
8. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS: Sponsor(s) reserve(s) the right to make changes to these Official Rules in its sole discretion which will become effective upon announcement. Sponsor(s) reserve(s) the right to cancel or terminate this Contest for any reason in the event that it cannot be run or administered as intended by the Sponsor(s). Any such changes or termination will be announced on hy-vee.com..
9. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: The Released Parties are not responsible for any problems that may arise, including but not limited to: (a) entries that are late, lost, illegible, mechanically reproduced, contain false information, damaged, misdirected, mutilated, garbled or incomplete, altered or otherwise irregular, that have been submitted using robotic, programmed, script or any other automated means, or illicit means, or do not conform with or satisfy any or all of the conditions set out in the Official Rules, as determined by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion; (b) postal delays, strikes or failures; (c) communications failed, jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected computer, telephone or cable transmissions or hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties; (d) for any other errors of any kind, omissions, incorrect or inaccurate information relating to or in connection with the any Contest-related materials or the Contest, whether human, mechanical, clerical, electronic, or technical in nature; (e) the incorrect or inaccurate capture of information, or the failure to capture any information in connection with the Contest; or (f) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s or Prize Winner’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any Prize. If the Contest, or any part of it, is discontinued for any reason, Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may elect to choose a Prize Winner by judging all eligible Entries received up to the date of discontinuance for the prize offered herein.
10. COPYRIGHT RELEASE AND ENTRANT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: By participating in the Contest, each entrant and each Prize Winner must agree to complete and sign a Copyright Release and Entrant Acknowledgment, which among other things: (i) confirms that the Recipe is the entrant’s own original work and that the entrant has the right to use the Recipe as submitted; (ii) grants Sponsor a worldwide, irrevocable and perpetual right and license to the Recipe; and (iii) acknowledges and agrees that Sponsor may utilize the Recipe and sell product in its store to the general public using that Recipe and that the entrant will have no right to any compensation whatsoever for the use of the Recipe or for any sales generated by the Recipe.
11. GOVERNING LAW/DISPUTES: This Contest is governed by the laws of the United States and the State of Iowa. As a condition of participating in this Contest and/or accepting a prize, each entrant and prize winner agrees, to the extent permitted by law, that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Contest, will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in the State of Iowa. FURTHER, IN ANY DISPUTE, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL YOU BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN AWARDS FOR, AND YOU HEREBY WAIVE ALL RIGHTS TO CLAIM, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES, OTHER THAN YOUR ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES (E.G. COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING). YOU FURTHER WAIVE ALL RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR INCREASED.
13. OFFICIAL RULES REQUESTS/NOTIFICATION OF WINNER: To receive a copy of these Official Rules (available after July 6, 2021) or to learn the winner(s) (available after August 31, 2021), send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: ATTN – Best Beef Cooking Contest – OFFICIAL RULES or –WINNERS (please specify), 5820 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines, Iowa 50266-8223. All requests for official winners list must be received by September 30, 2021.
THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
©2021 Hy-Vee, Inc. All rights reserved.