January 7, 2022 | News & Press Releases
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa (Jan. 7, 2022) — Hy-Vee, Inc. announces today that free Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine booster doses are now available by appointment only to 12- to 15-year-olds at least 5 months after their second dose at Hy-Vee Pharmacy locations across its eight-state region.
In addition to this announcement, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also authorized the following:
- All individuals who completed a primary series (two doses) of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine can receive an mRNA booster dose (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna) at least 5 months after their second dose (reduced from the previously authorized 6 months).
- Individuals ages 5 to 11 who are moderately to severely immunocompromised may receive a third dose of the Pediatric Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine at least 28 days after the second dose. At this time, Pediatric Pfizer-BioNTech booster vaccines are NOT authorized for individuals ages 5 to 11.
Individuals who completed their primary COVID-19 vaccination with Moderna or received a mixed primary series can only receive a booster dose at least 6 months after their second dose. Patients ages 12 to 17 receiving a booster dose may NOT mix-and-match vaccines. At this time, Pfizer-BioNTech is the only vaccine authorized for minors.
COVID-19 vaccinations are available at Hy-Vee Pharmacy locations by appointment only. Patients can schedule their COVID-19 vaccination by visiting www.hy-vee.com/covidvaccine.
A parent or legal guardian must consent to the vaccination and accompany all minors to their vaccination. The booster vaccines are free to all eligible patients, regardless of their insurance coverage.
The second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine should be administered at least 21 days after the first dose.
A booster dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is ONLY available for individuals ages 12 and older, and should be administered based on individuals’ primary vaccine manufacturer:
- At least 5 months after the second dose if a Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine recipient (or at least 5 months after their third dose of Pfizer-BioNTech if moderately to severely immunocompromised)
- At least 6 months after the second dose if a Moderna vaccine recipient (or at least 6 months after their third dose of Moderna if moderately to severely immunocompromised)
- At least 2 months after the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) dose if a Janssen vaccine recipient
It is recommended (but not required) that vaccine recipients bring the following to their appointment: insurance card (if they have insurance) and Medicare Part B red, white and blue card (if Medicare recipient); photo ID; and their COVID-19 vaccination record card. Masks are required. If individuals do not have insurance, they can still be vaccinated.
For more information about COVID-19 vaccines, visit www.hy-vee.com/covidvaccine.
Hy-Vee, Inc. is an employee-owned corporation operating more than 285 retail stores across eight Midwestern states with sales of more than $12 billion annually. The supermarket chain is synonymous with quality, variety, convenience, healthy lifestyles, culinary expertise and superior customer service. Hy-Vee ranks in the Top 10 Most Trusted Brands and has been named one of America’s Top 3 favorite grocery stores. The company’s more than 93,000 employees provide “A Helpful Smile in Every Aisle” to customers every day. For additional information, visit www.hy-vee.com.